Sexy Evil Scientists VS. Men in Tight Pants and Shoulder Pads

posted by Jory on Sunday, February 01, 2009
So. I really don't get they hype about Super Bowl. I really don't. I mean, I like the commercials and all. But the game? It's just sports! Men in tight pants and gigantic shoulder pads that make them look horribly disproportionate chasing after a ball and slapping each others' butts. And yet people go crazy for it. And corporations pay around $3 million to air a 30 second commercial during the Superbowl. I don't get it. I'd rather watch the Oscars.

Speaking of Oscars...someone should create a category for Third Screen Media, and "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" should take the win. Seriously, I just watched it last week, and since watched it twice more and listened ceaselessly to the soundtrack. It's amazing.

For those of you who are in the dark about this masterpiece, it is a three part, 42 minute musical miniseries about an evil scientist (Dr. Horrible) who, amidst trying to get into the Evil League of Evil, falls in love with a girl at the laundromat. It stars Niel Patrick Harris, who I must say I was never fond of before now. But when he sings, "It's a brand new day and the sun is high, and the birds are singing that YOU'RE GONNA DIE," my knees go a little weak. And I also have a bit of a weakness for perfect harmonizing, which I heard a little of and was pleasantly surprised. Basically, it's a hilarious dark comedy and when mixed with a musical it is a recipe for brilliance.

It was created by Joss Whedon during the WGA strike last year and watching it brought back my old love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yes. I used to be an avid Buffy follower. It's been about seven years since I've seen an episode. But I found it again on Hulu.com last night and I am not ashamed to say I love it once more.

As for my reading list, I'm not allowed to read "Size 12 is Not Fat" because I have already read it. This makes me sad. I am supposed to pick four and I only have three, so I still need help. The list thus far is:

1. Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding

2. Remember Me - Sophie Kinsella

3. Bras and Broomsticks - Sarah Mlynowski

I think I might enjoy another YA. Of course, I'd love to use another Meg Cabot book - like Jinx - but, alas, I've read nearly all of them. Too bad I can't use Harry Potter either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Jenni on 1/2/09 8:36 PM said...

Hey Jo,

Have you read anything by Marion Keys? She's chick lit, but less lighthearted. I read, quite a while ago, "Rachel's Holiday," and remember enjoying it. It's about a woman who goes to rehab.

Also, how come I didn't know you were a Buffy fan? OMGILOVEIT. I spent the first six months of 2008 watching all 7 seasons, plus, starting after the end of season 3, all of the Angel episodes simultaneously. It became tedious after a while, but fun. Are you going to watch Joss Whedon's new show, "Dollhouse," when it airs later this month? I watch far too much television.

jo on 2/2/09 2:53 PM said...

I have only read a couple of her short stories. I did like them, though.

Yes, I was what some might call obsessed with Buffy in 10th grade. I taped every episode and every rerun. I set all of my VHS tapes to record 6 hours of non-stop BTVS and I made my parents turn it on during dinner. Let's just say they're not fans.

jumblejo on 3/2/09 12:22 AM said...

I would like to take credit for turning you on to the beautiful pain that is Dr. Horrible. ;) NPH is wonderful. Too bad it's being wasted...

[Dear Neil Patrick Harris: Please, if you would be so kind, DO MORE STUFF. You have a fan base that would love you if you did commercials for Taco Bell.]

Also, <3!

"Because hey, we'll never break up!"

Emily on 3/2/09 1:28 PM said...

Dollhouse is coming! (Whedon's latest project)
Feb. 13 - I'm so excited : D

 

jo writes the blog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos