Frank Turner Friday: Sailor's Boots

posted by Jory on Friday, October 14, 2011
I'm sorry for the delinquency today, it's been a busy one. I chose "Sailor's Boots" for this week's Frank Turner Friday because it reminds me of an Irish ballad. It's lovely. It is the b-side for his song "If I Ever Stray," which is another favorite of mine but is a little too upbeat for my current mood. Maybe I'll post it next week. If there isn't another one that I feeling more inclined towards. According to Frank's website, this song used to be titled "Rod Stewart." As I have only recently discovered Frank, I will only ever know it as "Sailor's Boots."



Sailor's Boots
If I had been born 200 years ago
I would have been a sailor, a-sailing I would go
I'd sail around the capes, across the seven seas and then back home
If I had been born 200 years ago

And I would know the waters and the waters would know me
I would cut across the waves and be as happy as can be
I'd be landless, I'd be loveless, I'd be flight and fancy free
And would know the waters and the waters would know me

And when I think about the place and time were I was born
Well, I wonder if the hands of fate have slipped and placed me wrong
'Cause there are ships I could have sailed and sailor's boots I could've worn
When I think about the place and time were I was born

But the ocean is still out there magnificent and wide
With open arms to hold me, and endless space to hide,
And the only things that hold me back are things I hold inside
The ocean is still out there magnificent and wide

Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh
A-sailing I should go

0 comments:

 

jo writes the blog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos